Minori Chihara (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Beyond the Boundary) and FLOW (Naruto, Code Geass) converged on Shanghai to help Bandai Namco bring some anisong awesomeness to their Chinese fans. June 9's Shanghai Anisong Party featured more than two hours of anime song covers, including an encore team-up and a surprise appearance from one of the heavy hitters of anime music!
SET 1: Minori Chihara
1. "TERMINATED" - Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere
2. "ZONE//ALONE" - Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere II
3. "Kono Sekai wa Bokura wo Matteita" - Gargantia on the Verduous Planet
4. "Kyoukai no Kanata" - Beyond the Boundary
5. "Arigatou, Daisuki" - The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
6. "Aitakatta Sora" - Beyond the Boundary: I'll Be Here - Future
7. "SELF PRODUCER" - OniAi
8. "Paradise Lost" - Ga-Rei: Zero
SET 2: FLOW
1. "Sign" - Naruto Shippuden
2. "Re:member" - Naruto
3. "Steppin' out" - Durarara!! x2 Ketsu
4. "COLORS" - Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
6. "INNOSENSE" - Tales of Zestiria the X
7. "CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA" - Dragon Ball Z
8. "Ai Ai Ai Ni Utarete Bye Bye Bye" - Samurai Flamenco
9. "GO!!!" - Naruto
10. "Kaze no Uta" - Tales of Zestiria the X
For an encore, Chihara joined FLOW onstage for a performance of "DAYS" from Eureka Seven. And the audience was surprised when FLOW's Dragon Ball Z cover included an appearance from the original performer himself, Hironobu Kageyama!
Both Chihara and FLOW will be coming to the US for concerts in the coming weeks: FLOW will be appearaing at Otakon's Anisong World Matsuri on August 12 in Washington D.C., and Chihara will be appearing at Anime Expo's Anisong World Matsuri "Japan Super Live" on July 1.
Source: RESONANCE Media
Kara Dennison is responsible for multiple webcomics, blogs and runs interviews for (Re)Generation Who and PotterVerse, and is half the creative team behind the OEL light novel series Owl's Flower. She blogs at karadennison.com and tweets @RubyCosmos.