Monday, April 14, 2014

Wolfenstein: The New Order Kicks Ass at PAX East 2014 – Preview


Wolfenstein: The New Order Kicks Ass at PAX East 2014 – Preview



Wolfenstein is one of the godfathers of the FPS genre but it hasn’t always made the transition to the modern era of gaming elegantly. However, Wolfenstein: The New Order seems to be the shot in the arm the series has sorely needed. My time with the PlayStation 4 version of the game at PAX East 2014 has been my personal highlight of the show so far.



The demo started on a battlefield in 1946 as the war still rages on. I assumed the role of a soldier who just barely escaped drowning. My first objective was to locate and destroy an automated machine gun turret that was pinning down my fellow soldiers. The game did not provide any onscreen markers leading me to my objective but the level design was rather linear and simple to follow. I fell through the floor of a downed aircraft, entering a subterranean bunker replete with Nazis. I started off with a Thompson machine gun but quickly switched it out for a German weapon which can be dual wielded and fired independently.


The game uses standard FPS console controls, so it’s easy to get used to and dive right in. The one issue I had was with cycling through weapons. Holding down one of the shoulder buttons brought up a weapon wheel that you could toggle through using the left analog, but the same stick is mapped to movement. More than once, when I was outnumbered by enemies and low on ammo, I got stuck trying to pick a new weapon leading to an unfortunate death despite the fact that the game pauses when you bring up the wheel.


This is an excerpt from the full story which was originally featured on gamrReview, read the full version here – Wolfenstein: The New Order Kicks Ass at PAX East 2014 – Preview

Read more here: gamrReview

No comments:

Post a Comment