Sunday, January 4, 2015

FEATURE: Fanart Friday - Home Library Edition, vol. 4

Fanart Friday returns, and maybe I shouldn't joke about bringing the pain when one of my coworkers immediately shoots me in the neck with my own Nerf gun. Last week, we closed up the Christmas season with our annual X-Mas Xtravaganza XTREME, but this week, we ring in the new year with our fourth Home Library Edition! Let's take a trip through Crunchyroll's anime library and talk about some shows!


 



 


We got a lot of different requests for this week, including some shows that don't get much love on Fanart Friday, but you'll see a few big-name favorites as well--let's get started!


 


DISCLAIMER:  None of the art presented is the property of myself or Crunchyroll.  All characters and series are tm and © their respective creators and corporate owners.  All art is the creative property of their respective artists.  Any artists who wish to have their work removed from this article may contact me, and appropriate action will be immediately taken.




ffaldnoah


by Stu_dts


Let's start with what I think all of you should be watching, because holy crap, ALDNOAH.ZERO is excellent. Like crazy crazy good, giving me the same feeling I had watching the original Gundam years ago. It's this kind of stuff that got me into anime in the first place, so I'm always happy to see it make a comeback.




ffgin


by OroNoDa READER SUBMISSION!


Otherwise, you could be watching Gintama, which has me so excited for its return that I'm rewatching a large chunk of the show in preparation/just 'cause. Also, I won't be doing a "Year of the Sheep" edition, so this is all you get.




fftb


by Asino


Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee is a series I have to get back to watching. I wrote about it years ago in the Crunchyroll Newsletter, and then completely forget about its existence until somebody requests it here on Fanart Friday.




ffnozaki


by 天谷たくみ*新刊通販中!


Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun is another series I think everybody should be checking out, as it's solid freaking gold, especially for a shounen(ish) romance series. I still Nozaki should just let it all hang out, and admit that he loves shoujo manga--it's okay, I read and watch a lot of shoujo too (and I hate how wrong our shoujo tag is on the site, I'm trying real hard to get it fixed).




ffultra


by matchin


Also, at long last, we finally have more Ultraman on Crunchyroll! Ultraman Mebius here is joined by Ultraman Max for double your rubber-suited beatdown pleasure! (That last bit sounded far worse than I intended.)




ffmoyashimon


by 九字


I always appreciate a show that sorta teaches you something while telling a good story, and Moyashimon gets both parts right (for the most part, you only learn a little about microbes).




ffhxh


by m@オレサマヨウスケマルカジリ


It's a shame, but Hunter x Hunter's anime is over (for now). Literally all-killer, no filler, Hunter x Hunter takes a lot of familiar shounen action/adventure conventions and makes them feel more real and urgent than most of its contemporaries.




ffpandora


by マナ


Now we come to the part in every Fanart Friday with a show that I haven't watched yet. That's not entirely true--I watched the first episode of PandoraHearts a while ago, but never came back to it for one reason or another.




ffsxs


by 竹田ノコ


Servant x Service is another series I watched an episode or two of and then unceremoniously dropped, and I'm not sure why--Lucy is totally my kind of character, and I found whatshisface Yutaka to be pretty awesome.




fftrinity


by 月森うさこ


In terms of newer shows, there's TRINITY SEVEN, which I've only seen bits and pieces of, as we have it playing in our front lobby. Arata doesn't even get to be front-and-center on the show's promo image, so here he is getting to actually rep his main character status.




ffsnafu


by racer


Jesus Christ, even this one! Hachiman's tucked way in the back for My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU's poster, and I also kinda got the heebs from everybody leering over the Sonico and Nozomi art these last couple weeks, so you guys get some dudes right now.




ffsabagebu


by B-銀河


And now for another, with Sabagebu--dammit! That's okay, though, because even though the series doesn't have any male characters to speak of, here's a shot of Momoka looking like a total badass!




ffsds


by KebaFox READER SUBMISSION!


Let's take a quick dip into Crunchyroll's manga library with Seven Deadly Sins, Nakaba Suzuki's fun action/adventure! I still keep hoping against hope that one day we'll get his earlier, far more insane Kongou Banchou.




ffflag


by 凪庵


See what I'm talking about? Even in fanart, If Her Flag Breaks' Sota is waaaaaay in the back, although I'll admit he looks a lot cooler on the actual promo image for the show.




ffhusband


by ultmte READER SUBMISSION!


So, let's be honest: how many of you are, in the words of I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying, a creature that can't survive without anime?




ffnna


by うこん


I tend to prefer more stylized art that looks different from other anime out there, preferably with a more old-school feel. That's part of why I enjoy the visuals of shows like Natsu no Arashi (or even SNAFU) instead of the modern, almost standardized look.


 


ffwagnaria


by たして


Wagnaria!! shows off the joys of working in food service, but at least these guys seem to have time to goof off and have fun. Make an anime about working at Dennys, and it might not be as ha-ha hilarious and more like Berserk.


 


ffklk


by しょういん


One of the shining stars of recent anime is Kill la Kill, the insane love letter to Osamu Dezaki, Go Nagai, and other great creators. I think it's time for a rewatch!


 


ffnatsu


by MadPandaKira READER SUBMISSION!


Quick question about Fairy Tail--have any of you seen the movies? I actually really like stuff like the Dragon Ball Z and One Piece movies, as they're fun exhibition fights with gorgeous animation, but does Fairy Tail also follow the tradition?


 


ffparasyte


by nyoro


Let's start closing up this week with some recommendations--I absolutely love the manga, but haven't had a chance to watch Parasyte -the maxim- yet, but I hear it's pretty much the exact same, which means it's one hell of a smart, creepy ride!


 


ffsailorjojo


by 零@ブレ厨


I... guess this counts as a two-fer? Both Sailor Moon Crystal and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure are two great tastes that taste great together! ...sort of. Is it just me, or are Joseph and Polnareff enjoying this way too much?


 


ffkaito


by ぶら


And let's end on another crossover, as Magic Kaito 1412 is the newest addition to our library, set to steal the thunder from Case Closed and--oh. Looks like Conan's not having any of that crap.


 


And that's everything for this week! Want to look back through past installments of Home Library Edition? Check 'em:


 


Fanart Friday - Home Library Edition


Fanart Friday - Home Library Edition, vol. 2


Fanart Friday - Home Library Edition, vol. 3


 


CR's library is big, and getting bigger every day--what are your favorite titles in the home library? Sound off in the comments and let us know!


 


Like I say every week, your work is always welcome here on Fanart Friday, regardless of your skill level or experience. Want to share your art with us? Just PM me a link to your work (full url, please) and I'll be sure to include it in a future installment! Here are the next three installments of Fanart Friday:


 


-Next week, on JANUARY 9th, it's time to take pride in being a Boy (or Girl) Scout with some GENUINELY GOOD PEOPLE! I'm not talking about folks who begrudgingly (or eventually) do the right thing, but people who help or put themselves out for others without complaint or expectation of reward. Nice people need the spotlight, too! THIS IS THE ONLY THEME I'M TAKING REQUESTS FOR THIS WEEK!


-Then, on JANUARY 16th, we take a trip through the works of PRODUCTION I.G! It's quite a list to go through!


-On JANUARY 23rd, we'll do kind of the opposite of Home Library Edition with a CATALOG WISHLIST! Which (not currently-running or upcoming) titles do you want to see in Crunchyroll's library?


 


Thanks again for coming by to check out Fanart Friday! Have a great weekend, I hope you swing by next week, and let's all have a great 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment