Tuesday, August 5, 2014

CR INTERVIEW: AKIRA at J-POP Summit Festival 2014 Part 2

How did you like the first half of AKIRA interview at J-POP Summit Festival in San Francisco? In the second half of the interview, we talked about anime! Enjoy!


 


 



Photo by Shaowen Yao, J-POP SUMMIT 2014


CR: This maybe a little strange question, but if you were an anime character, what kind of character do you think you would be?


 


AKIRA: (Thinks for a second) My friends always tell me that I would never be a main character. They say the reason why is because I have a villain's face (Laughter). It has to be either a completely evil leader or a character who starts out mean but becomes a friend later in the story (Laughter). Or a cool best friend of a main character (Laughter). No matter what, I won’t be a main character according to my friends (Laughter). They say even if I was a girl character, I'd look like a rival or a meanie anyway (laughter). My eyes are naturally slanted, too.


 


CR: I think they are beautiful! To summarize, you would be a cool rival character of a main character in anime.


 


AKIRA: I guess. I don’t think I have a “cool” personality, though. People tend to see me that way because of the way I look.


 


CR: Do you in fact have a passionate personality?


 


AKIRA: Hummm, probably the best way to describe my personality is “easy-going”? (Laughter) I think I’m more laid back and fluffy at times than being cool.


 


 



Photo by David Tacmo, Edit by Yoshi Sawa


 


CR: Even though you are easy-going, are you feeling any more pressure being a solo artist now?


 


AKIRA: No, no, no, it’s completely the opposite. Since there are many professional people involved to support the solo project, I feel less pressured compared to being in a band where we do everything ourselves. I actually feel more responsible singing an ending theme for an anime, if anything. Because I know how people have a strong preference on who sings the songs for their favorite anime because I love anime like that, too. Honestly, I admit that there are cases where people say they don’t like the theme songs for their favorite anime because they love it so much. I may be feeling more pressured singing the ending theme than being a solo artist.









Photo by David Tacmo, Edit by Yoshi Sawa


 


CR: Let’s change the topic a little bit and talk about anime that you like. What are you watching this season?


 


AKIRA: I’m watching many different anime. This season in particular, I’m watching Haikyu! and Ace of the Diamond. In Ace of the Diamond, I like the character that looks like Cooking Papa (most likely Toru Masuko of Seido Academy). I like good side characters who have the other character’s back, compared to main characters.


 


CR: You like sports anime as a genre?


 


AKIRA: I think it’s just because of summer (Laughter). There is Free!, as I mentioned Haikyu! and Ace of the Diamond, I was watching Kuroko’s Basketball when it was on, oh and Sengoku BASARA because I played in the theatrical version, Samurai Jam - Bakumatsu ROCK, Tokyo Ghoul, and Blue Spring Ride.


 


CR: You really are watching a lot of anime! How do you find the time?


 


AKIRA: I try to watch them henever I have time. I remember to check anime before I go to sleep.









AKIRA with ALICE and the PIRATES designer, Tomomi Nakamura


Photo by Erskine Noel, J-POP Summit Festival 2014


 


CR: Okay great. The next question maybe a little lofty one. How do you picture yourself in 5 years?


 


AKIRA: 5 years later….I will be pretty old (Laughter) Oh my god (in English) (Laughter)


How do I want myself to be in 5 years...as long as I’m living a happy life, I’m fine. As long as I’m alive, I’m good (Laughter) Living is very important! I’m not really worried about too many things, as long as I’m enjoying my life then, the other small things don’t really matter to me.


 


CR: If you are returning to the US again, do you have a message for your US fans?


 


AKIRA: This is what I always say to my fans in Japan; let’s enjoy today and have fun! Although, as far as I’ve seen, people here seem to enjoy living and have more fun than us Japanese in Japan (Laughter). I believe you really need to set your mind up to enjoy things and have fun to do that, so I tell myself that, and hope my fans will find every little happiness in their life to enjoy everyday.


 


CR: Any last words?


 


AKIRA: Thank you! (In English)






And here are more AKIRA photos from J-POP Summit Festival:



Photo by Kevin Frates, J-POP Summit Festival













Photo by Kevin Frates, J-POP Summit Festival








 



Photo by Kevin Frates, J-POP Summit Festival













Photo by Shaowen Yao, J-POP SUMMIT 2014









Photo by Shaowen Yao, J-POP SUMMIT 2014












AKIRA shared a lot in the interview with lots of gestures and laughter, but became a professional model who struck a perfect Ouji / prince pose and facial expression to go with them once in front of a camera. AKIRA’s solo debut single, Aoki tsuki Michite, the ending theme of Black Butler: Book of Circus was released in Japan on July 30th. Let’s wish for more success to AKIRA to return to the US for a bigger stage!


 



AKIRA Facebook   Official Site   Twitter   Blog


Images provided by JPOP Summit Festival where noted. #jpopsummit

No comments:

Post a Comment