Wednesday, October 8, 2014

ONE PIECE #664 -- Special Review

So are Lone Wolf and Cub officially part of the Romance Dawn’s
crew, now? I assumed their story was tied off at the end of ‘Punk Hazard,’ but
they’re still sticking around, over a year later. Like, how many hours of screen time do characters
have to log in before they get certified? I also assumed the Straw Hats’ line-up would’ve
maxed after Brook made ten but, now that I think about, Trafalgar Law might as
well be a member at this point, too...

I’d say that a 13-head regular cast would be too unwieldy,
but I would’ve said the same thing about a 10-strong cast, too. Even if it were
an objective fact that Oda should’ve kept the crew down to six heads, I doubt
he’d pay much mind to it. Dude loves to just keep creating characters - - like
they’re literally just overflowing out of his skull. Just look at the screencap above. That isn't even the full cast. This episode alone had the dwarves rattle off
another half-dozen bad guys in the Donquixote family. He just can’t help
himself…

== TEASER ==

On the plus side, Franky’s probably tied with Chopper now as
my most favorite Straw Hat, and I was tittering throughout all his scenes here. His pompadour turning into an actual
cannon was a gleefully insane gag, and his voice actor’s delivery is just so
amped-up. Every piece of dialog from him (especially
the shotcalls
!) simply sounds
funny - - regardless of what the actual meaning or context is.

So, yeah… there’s probably nobody better to
create a diversion, when you think about it.

Past that… I hate to say it, but this largely felt like an ‘in-between’
episode. Aside from the fun moments I’ve
just listed above, it’s largely about getting characters from Point C to Point
D. Hell, it doesn’t even end on a cliffhanger so much as the plot just sort-of
cuts off because the crew probably maxed their time limit out.

Watch "Operation SOP Starts! Usoland Charges Forth!" and decide for yourself, then read my thoughts on the last episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment