Friday, May 23, 2014

Star Wars: TIE Fighter 20th Anniversary Retrospective


Star Wars: TIE Fighter 20th Anniversary Retrospective



The Star Wars movies are an excellent source of inspiration for game developers, and indeed, there have been dozens of games across the spectrum of genres since the original, Episode IV: A New Hope, hit the silver screen in 1977.


Thanks to games such as 1990′s

Space pirates should know better than to mess with the Empire!

Peter Brown


I wasn’t around for the theatrical release of the original Star Wars trilogy, but I grew up watching the movies from the comfort of my parents’ basement on a regular basis. I reveled in Luke’s transformation from an eager young farmer into a plucky, adventurous rebel, and yearned for the sort of excitement embodied in scenes like the speeder bike chase in Return of the Jedi.


I loved the tense conflicts that brought acts to an exciting head. Of course, lightsaber battles are the most iconic, but for as much joy as I got out of watching two Jedi clash, mano a mano, I was doubly drawn into the heated battles between X-Wings and TIE Fighters. This was partially due to my affinity for spacecraft design, but I think what really struck me was that piloting fighter craft was something I could theoretically do. Not just anybody could become a mystical warrior, but pilots were average people with daring and quick reflexes. That could be me.


For a time, I lived out this fantasy in LucasArts’ space-combat sim X-Wing, but its sequel, TIE Fighter, was the more impressive and captivating game. The CD-ROM version of TIE Fighter came with enhanced, high-resolution graphics (640×480), and new voice-overs that added to my sense of immersion. Granted, nowadays these elements are less impressive, but at the time, TIE Fighter was all I needed to feel like a space pilot in the Star Wars universe, and ultimately, it’s the game that I credit with my current love of space combat games.


Read more here: Game Spot News

No comments:

Post a Comment