Saturday, March 22, 2014

FEATURE: Fanart Friday – Two and a Half Fanarts Edition (a.k.a The Spring Recap)


FEATURE: Fanart Friday - Two and a Half Fanarts Edition (a.k.a The Spring Recap)



Fanart Friday returns, really hoping that #fartfriday becomes a thing. You read it right, by the way: not #fanartfriday, but #fartfriday. I know what I'm doing. Last week, we faced the terrors of twisty, thoughtful, brain-breaking titles, but this week it's time for our biannual staple: the RECAP EPISODE!





I'm not gonna lie, I love Fanart Friday Recap Episodes because I'm lazy as shit. I can pick whatever song I want regardless of theme, and really all I have to do is just cruise through the last six months' worth of images and pick a representative of each installment! Really though, and I say this every Recap Episode (and mean it)--this isn't worth doing without you guys. All of you, the readers and the artists who submit work (and all the people from Pixiv and dA who have no idea I'm showing off their work--I actually always ask if a picture's description tells me not to use it, though) keep Fanart Friday going strong every single week without fail. So, let's get started!



DISCLAIMER: None of the art presented is the property of myself or Crunchyroll. All characters and series are tm and © their respective creators and corporate owners. All art is the creative property of their respective artists. Any artists who wish to have their work removed from this article may contact me, and appropriate action will be immediately taken.




by 王道を往く


Fresh off the last recap, Interstellar Interlopers Edition visited some of our favorite alien invaders, visitors, and love interests!



ff2


by ヤズオ


Having absolutely nothing to do with Dragon's Crown's voluptuous Sorceress, Magically Delicious Edition focused on characters who were masters of the mystic arts! Although with that phrase being brought up, I don't think I included Doctor Strange...



ff3


by welchino


With the release of Pokemon X/Y on the 3DS, Gotta Catch 'em All, Generation II Edition celebrated Pokemon, trainers, and the artists who love them!



ffgodzilla


by 大鴨嘴


Destroy All Fanart Edition brought down the house with kaiju-themed fanart, from Godzilla, King of the Monsters, to Gamera to new giant-sized spectacles like Pacific Rim!



ffash


by blitzcadet


You hear me say it every year: Halloween is my favorite holiday! Tricks, Treats, and Trouble Edition was all about costumes and candy... and creepshows. Speaking of that, I finally got around to watching the Evil Dead remake, and found it to be pretty groovy.



ffharlock


by ひろ衛


It was through an incredible coincidence that Skull and Crossbones Edition was all set to go on the very day that we announced our simulcast of One Piece. I plan Fanart Friday at least a month in advance--there is no way I could've set that up.



ffsnake


by Feriowind


Who Dares, Wins Edition celebrated our men and women in uniform, from everyday grunts to elite operatives like Naked Snake!



ffacnl


by にゃんた


I got to reinvigorate my love of wrestling--cheesy and goofy as it is--with Squared Circle Edition, which was all about heels, faces, finishers, and kayfabe!



ffloz


by MPdigitalART


The appropriately-named Well Excuuuse Me, Princess! Edition focused on The Legend of Zelda, in celebration of The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds coming out! There's a reason I didn't review the game: I was too busy playing it. You want a review? Here were four very accurate words from me at the time: "who needs next-gen?"



ffhim


by tstn


Blacker than the blackest black, forever and ever times infinity, Blackest Friday Edition took another look at our favorite villains, like the dastardly HIM!



ffbumble


by Kanyn


While Return to Winter Wonderland Edition had a lot of cute and relaxing pictures of snow and bundling up, this hilariously epic piece featuring Yukon Cornelius and the Bumble was too good to pass up.



ffyowapeda


by


From baseball to basketball to bike-riding, Wide World of Sports Edition covered our favorite sports anime and manga!



fffrozen


by ribkaDory


When X-Mas Xtravaganza XTREME Edition xXx hit, I hadn't seen Frozen. Cut to now, where I've seen in twice in theaters, own the Blu-ray, and Bjaker's been singing bizarre variations of "Let it Go" for the past month and I'm still not sick of that song, and that feels like it was so far in the past.



ffgin


by 烏鴨


What a punch in the gut! All in the Family Edition was, uh... all about family, from actual relatives to bonds so close that they pretty much are family, regardless of blood.



fffree


by モノ


Now a regular thing, Home Library Edition, vol. 3 started off 2014 with a trip through Crunchyroll's Anime Library!



ffspace


by 零@商稿来袭


Named after one of my favorite Star Trek episodes, Far Beyond the Stars Edition blasted us off into space, with shows about space and shows that take place in space! Who here's watched the new Neil Degrasse Tyson-hosted Cosmos?



ffphi


by 東鳥つぐみ@ツイッター


Not all battles are won with brawn--sometimes, brains are what's necessary! It's All in the Game Edition took us through the mundane-seeming worlds of game-themed titles, most of which are anything but mundane!



ffgeneric


by 絵の迷子


I got to get a lot of snide comments about generic protagonists into Plain as Folk Edition, but the definite high point of that entire installment was this hilarious "princess carry" group shot.



ffpegasus


by TANPI@壁博ヒ42b


2014 is the Year of the Horse, and Of Course, Of Course Edition went right to the source with equine-themed fanart!



fftrigun


by 後藤@通販


Starting one of three semi-regular themes we'll be revisiting throughout the year, Madhouse Madness Edition visited the hits (and misses) of Studio Madhouse!



ffkh


by ---


While Three's a Crowd Edition was going up, I was in the process of moving to San Francisco. Sadly, while there was a lot of great art, I wasn't able to get my usual comments done for it--it was actually really encouraging and motivating to see how many people missed commentary on Fanart Friday!



ffblum


by Kingoji


Bloomin' Blum Edition gives me some pretty kickass bragging rights--Steve Blum read and liked the column! It wasn't too hard finding fanart of characters he's portrayed in his busy career!



ffswitch


by ちぇいん


Continuing the semi-regular voice actors theme, So Sugoi, Sugita-san Edition took us through Tomokazu Sugita's many roles!



ffdbz


by katsutake


Dealing with a staple of battle- and non-battle anime and manga alike, Blast Past the Max Edition unleashed the might of powered-up forms!



ffmadoka


by 小野:東1ス08b


And that brings us to last week's Brace Your Brain Edition, which dealt with the sometimes-unpleasant, almost-always-surprising mind screw theme!



ffsakura


by ultmte READER SUBMISSION!


I was telling this to ultmte when he submitted this Sakura Trick piece, and I'll tell it to you guys, too: when you first walk into the Crunchyroll office, we have two big TVs that show off random episodes of anime. Sometimes, there will be an episode of Sakura Trick in the rotation, so any random guests we have will get to see full-on, gorgeously-animated-in-HD yuri makeouts as soon as they enter the office. It's hilarious stuff.



ffft


by ABLowey READER SUBMISSION!


While I understand that people are excited for a new Fairy Tail anime, I've been getting my fix with the manga... that doesn't mean I'm not gonna watch the new anime as it comes out, it just means I'm not as voraciously eager for it. What about you?



Still in the mood for Fanart Friday recaps and highlights? Check these out!



Fanart Friday - Terrible Twos Edition (a.k.a. the Fall Recap)


Fanart Friday - Spring Recap Edition


Fanart Friday - First Anniversary Edition


Fanart Friday - Recap Episode Edition



It's been an exciting two-and-a-half years, and I'm looking forward to even more! Going back to the very first Fanart Friday, I've had a chance to learn what your favorite anime, manga, games, movies and more are, just as much as you've had a chance to learn about my favorites. I'm always proud to get your submitted artwork and show it off here, and I love getting to talk with all of you in the comments. Let's keep working together to make Fanart Friday the best (okay, only) weekly column on Crunchyroll (as long as people remember YOU CAN TOTALLY REQUEST FANART FOR NEXT WEEK IN THE COMMENTS. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY AND WILL NEVER CHANGE.).



As always, your art is welcome on Fanart Friday regardless of your skill level or experience. Just PM me a link to your work, and I'll make sure to include it in a future installment! Here are the next three themes for Fanart Friday:



-Next week, on MARCH 28th, we deal with another trope: the MAGICAL GIRLFRIEND/BOYFRIEND! Much like Belldandy or Chi, they may not be entirely human, and yet they're eerily perfect. This actually plays really well off of Plain as Folk Edition! THIS IS THE ONLY THEME I'M TAKING REQUESTS FOR THIS WEEK!


-Then, on APRIL 4th, we'll be getting a gritty reboot of our own (not really) with a look at SEQUELS and FOLLOW-UP TITLES! Think Dragon Ball Z to the original Dragon Ball, or the sheer number of Universal Century Gundam spin-offs and follow-ups! You can thank Support/Forums boss Bjaker for this idea!


-On APRIL 11th, we're doing another fan-requested theme for ANIMAL EARS--specifically on (sorta)-human characters! CR user bastet666 requested this one a while back, and we're finally getting to it!



Thanks again for coming by to check out Fanart Friday, and for keeping us going these two and a half years. Have a great weekend, and I hope you drop by again next week!

Read more here: Crunchy Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment