Saturday, October 4, 2014

The Worst DRAGON BALL Villain?

Eeesh. From my scholastic wrestling experiences, I can assert that B.O. is actually one of the deadliest offenses an opponent can throw at you. I close my eyes, and vividly smell it. That distinct, onion-scented aroma - - it's nauseating just thinking about it. So, needless to say, this episode hit close to home...

It's also one of the funniest episodes yet. And there's some irony to that, because I remember the arc with Gohan in the World Karate tourney in DBZ, and it played a lot less comically than this. I have to think that comes down the way super-moves are treated in the two eras of the show. DBZ obviously put loving attention on each step of a kata - - making a real showcase. Here, whenever Goku and Krillin fight, the violence is over in seconds. It's set-up, a few quick moves - - bang bang bang - - and then the aftermath of it. The concern is on the before and after. The punches literally work like punchlines.

== TEASER ==

While we're on that note, the fact that Roshi's alter ego pays less-than-subtle homage to Jackie Chan makes me think of something the guy once said about his fighting style. Basically, every martial arts star following Bruce Lee was trying to do the same thing, being very realistic and mean. Jackie went the opposite way, always reaching for the comedic potential in any set piece he did - - and obviously that proved to be the secret of his success. A round house kick from him was about the same as whipped cream pie being thrown by Charlie Chaplin.

Watch Krillin get brutally crushed - - again and again and again - - by his foe here, and after you're done cracking up, it's clear that Toriyama was thinking along the same lines. Hell, I'd say the fighting was actually more badass than what I've seen in other self-serious fighters precisely because of the sense of timing, and the lack of hesitation about being ridiculous.

And to answer the question posited in the headline... yes, I'd much rather fight Cell than this smelly dude.

Watch "Smells Like Trouble" and decide for yourself, then read my thoughts on the previous episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment